Wednesday, March 7, 2012

genesis: chapter 15... something from nothing

After these things the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, saying "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward." (15:1)

I wonder what Abram was worried about. He just conquered a bunch of armies what could he be afraid of?

Was he feeling a bit sick in his stomache? Uneasy like something was wrong but he couldn't put his finger on it? I'll tell you what next time I've got goosechills and butterflies I'm chanting this verse into my heart: "I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward." Amen.

God is telling Abram not to worry- He's got it covered and smothered. Abram questions Him back about the logistics of God's promise to make Him the father of countless when the only kid in his life is a servant's child born in his house. Abram is old, Sarai is old, the promise is old. But God re-affirms it by taking Abram outside and making him look up- showing him the stars.

Roman 4:17b says (referring directly to Abram's promise): God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did... and then Abram in verse 18: contrary to hope, in hope believed.

There was nothing in Abram's sight to make him even start to believe the crazy, outer limits promise that God had bestowed upon him. But against all hope he believed. So I decided that I'm going to believe, too. Not just for the little things that I usually pray for, but for the big, crazy stuff for me and my kids and my man and my family. I am praying this verse back to God that He will call into existence things that do not exist. He's done it before. He did it when He created the universe and the earth and the people in it. He did it when he called me from death to life. He did it when He fulfilled His promise to Abram. That's what He does, makes things that weren't there, there. I know what I am praying for and it's pretty radical. But not unthinkable, especially when you look up and see what Abram saw in the sky.

2 comments:

  1. My greatest moments of satisfaction on this earth have been when I see the Lord do just that. Looking forward with hopeful expectation to when He will do it again, in your life and mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie - my bible study is going through Phillipians right now and going over that we should be not just a saint but a bondservant to Jesus and what that is - radical thoughts to us. Just like with Abraham...radical. God is trying to really burn these thoughts in me. Thanks for sharing. PS - I love to look up at the stars.

    ReplyDelete